Random Quote Generator

THE POET AS SCIENTIST

THE POET AS SCIENTIST, THE POET AS SCIENTIST

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

The Geek's Raven
[An excerpt, with thanks to Marcus Bales]

Once upon a midnight dreary,
fingers cramped and vision bleary,
System manuals piled high and wasted paper on the floor,
Longing for the warmth of bedsheets,
Still I sat there, doing spreadsheets:
Having reached the bottom line,
I took a floppy from the drawer.
Typing with a steady hand, I then invoked the SAVE command
But got instead a reprimand: it read "Abort, Retry, Ignore".

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Form input - by Günter Born

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Night Thoughts


Hayyim Nahman Bialik


Fearful cry -- Nightowl midst desert,
Arise nevermore, thy shattered heart;
Thy tears outpour a surging flood
A salt sea for a desert shroud;
A thousand years of tears, the debt is owed --
All joy is gone, thy heart is turned to stone --
Wherefore, such solemn compensation?
A fool's errand, tearful, mournful dispensation.


Your fires from thence expelled,
Your mouth, its tempest quelled;
Behold the Tempest, Know Darkness --
The end of Time? Of all Existence?
Mayhap, these storm-scattered clouds
Shall show through Moon and Stars?
Behold, the worldly wrath arise --
Tis naught -- the Death of Night.


My guts are torn, miserable, wretched,
Stop it, I can't bear it!
I yearn this dreaded term of life to end,
Struggling for breath, my eye's fire dimmed;
Behold, it nears the gateway of my soul,
The broad gate breeched, burned beyond control --
My staggered life stumbles on --
My God! Am I undone?


The tender womb is beaten bloody,
Filthy linen befouls the baby's body;
The mother's shrivelled breast withdrawn,
While mourners poisoned cups do drain.
As if my very heart to grasp
Compelled to drain its potency and strength...
Woeful, hidden my rage,
My life is dead, fiend-ravished!


Spreading canopy its waters shining
Stars like gemstones glittering;
Soft breezes sweetly flowing
Caressing joyous lands happily whispering,
Lovingly embracing,
Their hidden secrets silent telling;
Sweet silent sleep, our life is curing --
Away! Away! Thou worms devouring.


Gentle Night, sweet mistress,
Your silent song, is my balm;
But your tendrils twine,
And, wearying, they seem to bind me --
Then my strong desire fills thy song,
On silken wings they bring me home,
Drying frozen tears in longful eyes --
I drink thy song, thy breast of tears!


Thy breast of tears, thy song,
Affright me heart, my soul enthrong.
Wandering vagabonds arise midst desert,
Seek the fallen Temple, where lie their ancestors,
They point the path of exile,
Resign thyself, rest a while;
That fire again, again thy song
My tears they cease -- by thy gentle balm!



Translated from Hebrew by Jerome Raymond Kraus (2008)
© Copyright Jerome Raymond Kraus (2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home