Random Quote Generator

THE POET AS SCIENTIST

THE POET AS SCIENTIST, THE POET AS SCIENTIST

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

The Geek's Raven
[An excerpt, with thanks to Marcus Bales]

Once upon a midnight dreary,
fingers cramped and vision bleary,
System manuals piled high and wasted paper on the floor,
Longing for the warmth of bedsheets,
Still I sat there, doing spreadsheets:
Having reached the bottom line,
I took a floppy from the drawer.
Typing with a steady hand, I then invoked the SAVE command
But got instead a reprimand: it read "Abort, Retry, Ignore".

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Form input - by Günter Born

Friday, June 21, 2024

Whatever happened to the term "incel"?

For a couple years now I've been noticing that whenever I made a comment vaguely critical of women or feminists on social media, I was described as a "creepy incel". Now the word "incel", I've been told, means "involuntary celibate". That is, people who desperately want a relationship, but, are incapable of one, because of psychological, physical or intellectual limitations. Now, I'm celibate, that's true, but, I believe it's totally voluntary at this stage. Such relationships as might be available to me simply aren't worth the trouble, from my point of view. So, I've been slightly puzzled as to why this term was applied to me, lately. I think it is used as a term of abuse, to suggest that, by criticizing women in any way, I was failing to be a proper member of society, because, after all, everyone knew women were perfect, and shouldn't be criticized at all, for anything, ever. That, effectively, our job as men was to submit to women in all things, something I wasn't particularly inclined to do, at all. But, lately, I've found that this term is scarcely applied to anyone, myself included, at all anymore, no matter what we might say about women. Am I correct about this? Has the term "incel" largely disappeared from the popular vocabulary, just in the last few months, or so? Why might this be? Is it related to the current American election, in which a noticeable gender gap has developed in polls between young men and young women? Presumably, young men are, as a group, getting slightly tired of having to grovel and the feet of women, and to acknowledge the superiority of women in all things, and are taking their views to the ballot box with them, and voting Republican, or, "anti-feminist"? Is this the case, perhaps? So, are all young men following my lead, and becoming "creepy incels", so the term no longer has any real meaning? Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home