Random Quote Generator

THE POET AS SCIENTIST

THE POET AS SCIENTIST, THE POET AS SCIENTIST

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

The Geek's Raven
[An excerpt, with thanks to Marcus Bales]

Once upon a midnight dreary,
fingers cramped and vision bleary,
System manuals piled high and wasted paper on the floor,
Longing for the warmth of bedsheets,
Still I sat there, doing spreadsheets:
Having reached the bottom line,
I took a floppy from the drawer.
Typing with a steady hand, I then invoked the SAVE command
But got instead a reprimand: it read "Abort, Retry, Ignore".

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Form input - by Günter Born

Friday, February 10, 2006

The Good Constable


I am, The Good Constable
I saw, my nation’s plight
I did, and ever shall
Do, that which God tells me to be right
I tolerate no hypocrites
No forgers of false writs
Who dare invoke God’s word
Unleash his terrible, swift sword
With scarce a thought on other’s pain
So eager to remain
In state of power, wealth or gain.

I am The Good Constable
I do protect and serve
All through the power of the Lord.
When Charles sought to crush old England’s will
I needs applied my regimental skill
To forge a weapon none would dare to try
A Puritan inspired, modern, model army.
And with such skill as God saw fit to grant
I did subdue the heretical tyrant.

I am The Good Constable
A Heretic King’s a millstone
Round my neck, strangling
Land and populace
A headsmen’s axe shall in a trice
Break ties that bind in one quick slice!
And should the Scottish thane
Or Irish Kerl
Uprear his head in treason’s name
By God, no man, nor boy, nor girl
Shall live to see another day
In any land where I hold sway.

I am the Good Constable
The Dutch think I’m no admiral
But they should know that Oliver’s
A most effective Governor
On land or sea, in time of war.
I’ve no quarrel with them
On matters of religion
But they’ll ne’er have dominion
O’er the seas round England.
This Parliament’s another thorn
Whose petty tricks I laugh to scorn
Should they see fit to face me down
We’ll see whose head shall wear the crown!
I be no King, nor shall not be
I seek justice and liberty
But hypocrites who force the game
Must understand they cannot tame
God’s righteous wrath against their rule,
Lord Oliver is no one’s fool.
I cannot know what fate shall bring
A Lord, a President, a King
But through it all, God’s will be done
In Oliver’s grand kingdom.



© Copyright Jerome Raymond Kraus 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home