Random Quote Generator

THE POET AS SCIENTIST

THE POET AS SCIENTIST, THE POET AS SCIENTIST

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

The Geek's Raven
[An excerpt, with thanks to Marcus Bales]

Once upon a midnight dreary,
fingers cramped and vision bleary,
System manuals piled high and wasted paper on the floor,
Longing for the warmth of bedsheets,
Still I sat there, doing spreadsheets:
Having reached the bottom line,
I took a floppy from the drawer.
Typing with a steady hand, I then invoked the SAVE command
But got instead a reprimand: it read "Abort, Retry, Ignore".

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source

Form input - by Günter Born

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Battle of New Orleans


The sky had turned a bloody red
As the battle it was brewing
Old Andy Jackson turned his head
His feverish thoughts resuming
He could scarcely count the English dead
Our sharpshooter’s lead consuming
But something deep inside his head
Said “There’s something wrong I’m doing.”

“I know I’ve saved old New Orleans
The enemy’s scarcely hurt us
My head is pounding from their screams
Their wounded and deserters
I’d heard their general promised them
Our women for their pleasure
So I’ve arranged that all their men
Be paid in equal measure.”

“But now a vision’s come to me
That I can scarcely credit
It seemed as if the deep blue sea
Destroyed all things around it
Now this I know could never be
No Government’d permit it
But something deep inside of me
Keeps telling me about it.”

“It seemed as if a new King George
Had come to rule our Nation
A man obsessed with poisonous drugs
Addicted to corruption
And this man would not lend his hand
To help protect our nation
For him the greatest pleasure was
Universal Conflagration.”

So General Jackson drew his sword
To help dispel the vision
And then he gave his solemn word
In reverential station
“I pray to God, such things as these
May never touch our Nation
That peace may rule a land at ease
I’ve protected from invasion.”

“But should some traitor take the head
Of my beloved country
Putting in danger all I’ve said
Is most important to me
I swear I’ll take once more the helm
Of my beloved nation
For he who threatens my Great Land
Shall hear from Andrew Jackson!”

© Copyright Jerome Raymond Kraus 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home